Wednesday 20 June 2012

Father's Day Card

I can't believe how easy it is to fall behind in posting.  I am only just now posting the Father's Day card that my ladies made at Card Club in May...and that I sent to my own father too!  The technique is called Faux Leather and it is amazing how closely the final product resembles real leather (in fact, my own family was fooled and thought I really HAD used a piece of leather on my card).

Without further ado, here's a great masculine card using the faux leather technique:

Supply List
Stamps - Lovely As A Tree
Paper - Crumb Cake, Early Espresso
Ink - Early Espresso
Tools and Accessories - Baker's Twine, Brads, sponges, heat gun, Fun Foam, spritzer bottle, Espresso re-inker 


I used dollar store kids' Fun Foam to make my "faux leather" piece.  Go ahead and watch the youtube video to find out how to treat the foam to achieve the leatherized look.  It is surprisingly easy to do.  As for the rest of the card:  Water and a few drops of Espresso re-inker were mixed in a spritzer bottle and then sprayed quite liberally over the bottom (crumb cake) mat piece of the card.  Once dried, the pine image was randomly stamped over the bottom half of this crumb cake piece.  The faux leather/fun foam swatch, once "treated and stamped" was mounted to its corresponding Espresso mat using gold brads.  Espresso Baker's twine was wrapped a few times around this piece then the rest of the pieces were glued together.

Sound easy?  It is.
Sound quick ?   Not on your life!  Lots of steps.  Lots of gluing.  Lots of waiting.   The sponging and distressing and layering all add to the time needed for completion.  Yet it is pretty obvious that it is a gorgeous card.  My own father certainly liked it!  And my father deserves simply the best!

Hope you all enjoyed a wonderful Father's Day.
Until next time,              God Bless,     ~Cynthia     

No comments:

Post a Comment