Tuesday 4 September 2012

Super Easy Ribbon Ornament Card

Okay.  Four kids in school this morning (3 at the High School, Grades 7, 9 and 10 - and my youngest as the last one remaining at the Elementary School - Gr 5).  Met a friend for coffee at Tim Horton's.  And now I needed to make a quick card for today's post.  This card is a lot like yesterday's card - but with a Christmas flair.  And it was so very quick and easy to make!!  Love, love, LOVE the stitched satin ribbon that Stampin' Up! is giving away FREE during September!



Supply List
Stamps - More Merry Messages
Paper - Very Vanilla
Ink - Midnight Muse
Big Shot -  Delicate Designs EF, Holiday Ornaments Framelits
Tools and Accessories - Midnight Muse and Raspberry Ripple Stitched Satin Ribbon, dimensionals



I love how easy it was to make that adorable ornament.  I just used yesterday's method, with a different window shape cut into the top piece of cardstock.  I added the small knot of ribbon at the top of the ornament because it was "missing something".  Then I decided to do something easy to "step up" this card.





First on the agenda - add glitter.  Dazzling Diamonds added to the embossed edges of the card (using a 2-way glue pen) add that little bit of festive flair.  Glitter and Christmas just seem to go together....don't you think?  It might not be super-obvious in the photo, but oh how that Dazzling Diamonds glitter does sparkle and shine!






Next Up:  Add bling.  It is so easy to add bling exactly where you want it using the self-adhesive Basic Rhinestones from Stampin' Up!  And since the package comes with 3 lines of rhinestones that are already attached together, it is easy to add lines across a card, like the ones on this ornament!







So tell me.  What do you think?  Do you prefer the card as the original?  With the glitter?  Or stepped up even further with the bling?




Hope everyone is enjoying their first day of school. 
I'll have 4 excited (and hopefully ecstatic?) kids arriving home in just a few hours.  I can't wait to hear all the first-day-of-school stories!






Happy Stamping and God Bless,     ~Cynthia     <><

6 comments:

  1. Wow I love all three of these Cynthia, and will certainly be trying them out. I think my favourite is the 3rd one, although for mine I might use the basic rhinestones as a bauble on the bottom of the ornament and on the top as a string. Just a thought. I'll be playing with this idea today! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Penny. Rhinestones as a bauble at the bottom of the ornament brings back memories of the beautiful old hand-blown glass heirloom ornaments - you know, the ones our mothers cried about when we accidentally broke them (and now that we're grown up, we understand why!). I'll definitely have to try that! Hope your day was great. Did you have any off to first-day-at-school? Mine are back now. Homework being done as I type. And so it begins.....
    Enjoy the rest of your day and God Bless, ~Cynthia <><

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the cards but my favoutite is the second one. I like the way that the lines of the ribbon show up. The color choice is great. I love the reds and greens of Christmas but this is a nice change. The Merry Christmas stamp is lovely.

    What is snail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Olivia - thanks for your comment. My favourite happens to be the 2nd one too I think. Maybe I got carried away with the # of rhinestones on the 3rd version, but the simple elegance of #2 speaks to me. And I love the script for the Merry Christmas sentiment! Very elegant and refined!
    As for snail, you can see it on pg 177 of the catalogue. It is a great adhesive for cards and scrapbooking. Quick (no drying time). No mess (unlike glue sticks). Safe for scrapbooking. And you can buy refills after your original runs out. It works really well with raised/embossed images too. It is a 2-sided "tape runner" and as you drag it across the page it leaves a "trail" of adhesive behind it. Hence the name "snail" (like when those little guys leave a path of goo behind....)
    Hope you've enjoyed your summer. God Bless ~Cynthia <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be e-mailing about some items to order. Here is a really basic question. When I belonged to card club, the card stock was always already folded. What do you use to make the fold in the center of the card stock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although you can use a bone folder to make the score lines on cards - the easiest and most effective way is to use the Scoring Tool (pg 183 of catty. ID#125624). It is ergonometric and comfortable for the hand. It has a larger end (best used for designer paper which is light and could tear otherwise) and a smaller end (best used for cardstock). It comes with the Scoring board which is the most powerful way to use it(did you purchase one of these last year?) or it can be purchased separately and used in conjunction with the groove in a standard paper trimmer.
      I meant to have a "card-making 101" session this summer to cover info such as this - but there were not enough weeks in the year, let alone the summer. Perhaps I will have to get one on my calendar anyhow!
      Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more if I have not been clear. God Bless, ~Cynthia <><

      Delete